This is a wonderful and easy recipe that is perfect for the last day of Las Posadas. The one thing that you need to have is a Bunuelera, a special mold, which you can purchase here.
(Measurements serve 15-20 Buñuelos)
1 ½ cups of flour
2 tbsp sugar for mixer
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp water
1½ cups milk
1½ tsp unsalted butter
2-3 cups of hight temperature oil for frying (peanut, vegetable, canola, grapeseed)
For dusting mix
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup sugar
On a flat surface plate mix sugar and cinnamon mixed
Bunuelera, a special mold, which you can purchase here.
- Mix the following in a bowl: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla, water, melted butter, eggs, and a little milk.
- While whisking ingredients, continue to add the remaining milk.
- Whisk the mixture until smooth. Mix should be lighter than pancake mix.
- Strain the mixture to remove lumps. *optional
Pour oil in a pot along with your buñuelo tool in it, wait for oil temperature to reach 350-375 °F.
Once the oil is ready, remove the bunuelo tool and Tap excess oil on a paper towel. Bring the tool into the batter so that the mixture sticks to the end of the tool. (do not dip the tool completely in the batter)
- Return the tool immediately back into the oil, remove the mixture from the bunuelo tool by gently spinning the tool till the mix slides off. You can use a fork to help you remove the mix.
- Leave bunuelo in oil for 10-15 seconds, flip sides for an additional 10 seconds.
Transfer the bunuelo from oil to a towel, for excess oil to drip. Only for a few seconds.
Place bunuelo in your dusting mix for a couple seconds on each side.
Note: place bunuelo into the dusting mix immediately before the bunuelo colds off.